Thursday, March 1, 2007

Arena League Set to Kickoff!

Yes, the NFL's ugly little sister is back. The Arena Football League is getting set to start it's 2007 season on March 4th on ABC. The opening cerimonies will feature a duet with Philadelphia Soul Co-owner Jon Bon Jovi and country guys Big and Rich.

“Jon Bon Jovi has become a symbol of Arena Football, and his band remains one of the most popular on the planet, so it’s only fitting that their music be part of ESPN’s presentation of the AFL this season,” said Norby Williamson, executive vice president, studio and remote production, ESPN.

Bon Jovi added: “I couldn't be happier that our song is kicking off ESPN’s AFL games this season. My passion for the game is no secret, and this song conveys the passion and energy that the players and fans put forth every game.”

I love this game. NBC and now ESPN/ABC have done alot to bring it into the mainstream. When The Quad City Steamwheelers of the AF2 were brought into my area I fell in love with the game. I'm a football fan, I take what I can get. When I moved further north I still trekked to Moline to catch the games on a summer night. Tailgating outside The Mark of the Quad Cities on the Mississippi River. Bands playing, food and beer everywhere. Fun for the whole family.

When I moved to Austin, TX I began going to the Wrangler games, upgrading my viewing to the AFL. It amazes me how the game is so affordable. For $15 you can get a cheap seat and some food.

The game still does not get the respect it deserves. I don't care if it becomes huge, I just think that real football fans should give it a chance if they haven't. you may be surprised. It's much better than what you see on the TV. Especially if you have kids. There is plenty going on between plays and periods. Fans are often taken onto the field to participate in contests, both fun and embarrassing. My old boss and his buddies even had a reoccurring gig dancing with the Wrangler Girls.

If you have not given it a try, watch a game this weekend. If you have the luxury of a team near you, take the kids or some buddies (your experience will vary on who is with you-both good times though) and put down a couple bucks on some tickets.

No comments: